9.6. Related Products Generator
Related Products Generator is the possibility to generate related products, upsells, cross-sells for each item in your store's cataog at once.
- Related products are products that are similar in characteristics but some of their features differ, and can be purchased in addition. You can find more information on this type of products on the online documentation page
- Upsells are products, which are similar to the viewing one, but have better features or characteristics and can be purchased instead of the initial variant. Visit this page to get acquainted with this type of product in more detail.
- Cross-Sells are positions of items, which appear when the main product is added to the cart and looks like the block of the offers to prompt the customer to make an extra purchase. See this page to get detailed information on this type of products.
In order to build relations to products follow the corresponding step-by-step instruction:
Create new configuration
To start the generation process use the [Add] button from the top toolbar to create a new configuration.
It opens the form with fields divided into two panes:
The "Information" pane consists of basic settings details, i.e.:
- "Name*" - clarify the name of the configuration there
- "Relation type*" - indicate which product’s relation type a certain configuration belongs to
- "Store view*" - specify the store view that changes will be related to
Fields marked with an asterisk are mandatory.
Please note! In case the cross-sell type of relations is checked, the specific store view needs to be selected in the "Store View" field, the upsell and relation types can be used with "All store view" position.
Starting from v.3.21.0 Build:2311 you can see the field related to categories of the store:
- The "Categories" field - select categories from the store and only products assigned to selected categories will be processed during generating. Use the browser [...] button to call the category tree form or the [Delete] button to clear the previous choice.
- "Product type" - select a product type from the drop-down list:
- "Product status" - indicate the status of products:
- "Product visibility" - specify the variant of the product visibility:
- "Stock availability" - determine whether the products are available or unavailable in the stock ().
- The next fields are related to the quantity and price range. You are able to set the limits in price value (amount) of products which the current condition will be actual in.
Fields relevant to the date information:
- By default, the first field is selected and allows to ignore time limits.
To be able to set the appropriate period of time, determine the date via the built-in calendar for created or updated products by using next position:
The information concerning conditions of the rule is located in the lower part of the current form.
For rule conditions
- "Assign limit" - the number of products which can be processed in a generation. In other words, if you set "5" in this field, then only five products, corresponding to the conditions, specified in the rule, will participate in the process of generation.
Determine the operation’s type in the next field.
< - "Regenerate". if matched products have already assigned relations, they will be rewritten on a new ones prescribed in the current rule
< - "Add Only". Only add new relations and do not modify an existing ones.
Fields responsible for placing conditions in a particular order, are available at the bottom of the form:
- "Sort type":
- "By date" of creation (from the latest to the earlier dates);
- "By price" value (from the high to low).
Take into account options below:
The [Save] button allows to add the current configuration settings to the list. The [OK] button allows to save and apply configuration at once.
Choose an action you need and close the form.
You should see the configuration list on the left.
To refresh the rule’s details, press the option opposite each position. In addition, it activates the selected configuration.
Add conditions to configuration
The lower part of the "Related Products Generator" page consists of the "Condition Groups" tab and the tab that displays relations of the products in accordance to configured conditions before their final generation (i.e. preview tab).
Condition Groups tab
Sort order checkboxes show conditions in the list based on a selected parameter:
- "By date" - from the latest date of creation to the earlier
- "By price" - from the highest value to the lower
Take a note, checkboxes are not acceptable to edit in the current form.
To be able to change the sort order parameter, you need to press the [Edit] button in the top toolbar of the left upper panel:
Product condition for (Cross-sell, Upsell, Relation)
- The "Category" field - select a category of products which will meet the current position.
Note, once it is selected (1) and saved (2) you can see the ID number instead of the category name in the particular field (3).
- "Product Type". Specify the type of products here
- "Stock availability". Select availability status for the products in condition (Note: this field is available in Enterprise Edition of Store Manager for Magento and, in accordance, it is not available in Professional Edition of Store Manager for Magento)
- "Product quantity". Type the number and use the arithmetic inequality in the next field to specify the number of products, from which the current condition will take a force (this can be the different formula's variations, for instance, more than 3 or more-equal to 5, or less than 4 etc).
- The "Attribute" field. Select an attribute from the drop-down list. Products woth this attribute assigned will be taken to the current condition.
You are able to choose the attribute values for a specific condition.
It is recommended for upsells generation to set the appropriate price range to the condition in the attribute field, that is, select Attribute -> [Price] and form a formula according to the certain values, which will be taken into account when forming relations.
According to the attribute value selected at the first position, the content of the following fields will be automatically changed. For example, if you select a price attribute, then in the next field you can choose one of the mathematical inequalities and set the value in the third field to construct the corresponding condition.
Attribute values list will be changed based on the Store Manager’s Edition. In Professional Edition you can choose from the default attribute values only, the created ones will be unavailable for selection. If you use the Enterprise Edition particular list will be more extended with the default and own attribute values.
If you create a configuration for Cross-Sell generating, you will see an extra area in the "Condition Groups" tab, named "Order Conditions" (this is related to Enterprise Edition of Store Manager for Magento, in Professional Edition of Store Manager such area is not available!)
Important! The current type of product relations will be generated based on the orders information and the fields, which you can see in the additional section related to the conditions of the order details.
- The "Status" field. Choose a variant from the drop-down list. It allows to activate a condition according to selected order status.
The settings of the date and price range are represented below:
- "Date range". Set from which date to which date of the purchase the condition will be valid;
- "Price range". Indicate the limits in price value of products in the order.
To add condition to the conditions group, do not forget to click the [Add Condition] button in front of each field. All of them should be displayed in the right side of the lower box.
Preview and apply results to the configuration
On the right, you can see a list of products that meet the conditions configured in the current rule (the upper side).
- [Go to Product] moves to the product on the Products list of Store Manager.
- [Clear Products] clears all products from a list at once.
Starting from the from ver. 3.21.0. Build:2311 of Store Manager for Magento the addition operations are available by using the options in the right-side toolbar:
- "Add products from the categories option". You can select necessary categories, then products assigned to this categories will be included into generating:
- "Add products by search" launches the search engine in order to find items by specified parameters:
- [Delete Relations] clears relations in positions that were selected:
Groups of conditions and products relations
Conditions reflected in the right pane, are automatically combined into the relevant groups.
Use the top toolbar to perform the following operations:
- [Refresh] updates the data of the current area.
- [Add Condition Group] creates a new group positions to which you can assign additional conditions from the left panel.
- [Remove Condition] - choose condition from the relevant condition group and press the button above.
- [Clear Empty Groups] - current option serves to remove a group without specified conditions from a represented list.
- [Export] - save information from the left panel to a separate file of .xml or .html format:
- [Preview Relations] - applying conditions to preview relations between products. It forms a list of related products (upsells or cross-sells) that will be displayed in the second tab of the lower grid:
Some additional options are available at the top toolbar:
- [Return to Condition Groups] switches to the previous tab
- [Refresh] updates the data on the current tab
- [Go to Product] - select a position from a list and press the relevant button to move to the product in the Products list of Store Manager
- [Clear All Relations] helps to clear all generated relations at once from the existing list
- [Apply to Config] activates conditions to the current configuration.
Configurations list: basic operations
You can see already created rules in a list on the upper left pannel:
The toolbar at the top, as well as the context menu of the current panel, helps to perform additional operations. such as:
- [Edit] configuration - opens the form for editing and change (update) the data you need
- [Delete] configuration - removes selected configuration from the configurations list
- [Delete all] clears a list at once
To transfer information from the current panel of the window use the [Export] option and choose the one of the possible file formats - xml or html:
The [Generate] button launches generation process of relations between products that meet conditions prescribed in a particular rule.
The following articles contain detailed information on Related, Cross-Sells and Upsells generating:
If you have faced with some difficulties or need any help regarding Related Products Generator functionality please contact us and we will gladly provide you with necessary information and assistance.