3. Edit Product
To create a new Magento product or edit an existing one, proceed through several steps:
- Click on create new or edit product icon, to see the edit product window:
2. Select a Store View - Select a store where you would like to add the Magento product from the appropriate drop-down. By default new Magento product is created for all stores managed by the admin, but you can select one of available stores to create the product in.
Specify the following General Information:
- Name - The product name as it will appear in the front-end
- SKU - The products SKU. Magento uses SKU as a unique identifier for this product, across all stores and websites. SKU is global, meaning if you update the SKU for a product in one store, it will update in all other stores as well.
- Weight - Usually used for shipping calculations.
- Status - Status can be Enabled or Disabled. “Enabled” displays normally in the front-end, and “Disabled” doesn't display in the front-end.
- Tax Class - Specify the Tax Class associated to the product. This determines which Tax Rule will be used for this product, and consequently the Tax Rate that will be charged to your customers.
- URL key - The Search Engine Friendly URL Identifier adds a relative URL path which can be entered in place of the standard Target Path. It is Search Engine Friendly because it can use the name of the product instead of the ID#. If you leave this field blank, it will automatically generate with the name of the product upon creation of the product. If you enter a value here manually, you cannot use spaces in this field.
- Visibility - You can decide whether your product will display in the page(s) of its associated category(ies), display when your customer searches for the product, both, or neither. It may be useful to “hide” certain products from your customers if they are associated to a Configurable or Grouped Product, so that the product is only visible through the Configurable or Grouped Product’s page, and not visible separately.
- Allow Gift Message - If you have enabled Product Level Gift Messages in the Configuration page, you can allow your customer to enter a gift message for a specific product during checkout by selecting Yes. If you select Use config, it will use the value in the Allow Product Level Gift Messages drop-down in the system configuration. This differs from Order Level Gift Messages because your customers can add a different message for each product that has this feature enable. This is useful if they create one order, but ship to multiple addresses.
- Product Manufacturer – Select Manufacturer form the drop-down. You can add to this dropdown by adding a manufacturer in Catalog->Manufacturers. You must do this before you add product if you want to use this dropdown. Alternatively, you can do it afterwards by editing your product.
- Set Product as New from/to Date - In these fields, enter the date range in which the Magento product will be promoted as a new product.
- Also there may be more fields defined by user, so you can add/change them, make required, or vice versa, etc - it's up to you.
Specify product Prices:
- Price - Specify an actual price your want to sell your item for. If you have a special or discount, this will be the original price.
- Cost - The Cost is for internal purposes and does not require a value.
- Special Price - You can enter a Special Price for this product. In the front-end, this will appear underneath the original price (referred to as the Regular Price), which will be crossed out. The Special Price will display in red, and be referred to the Special Price.
- Special Price From/To Date - You can enter a date range within which the Special price will be active. This price will apply automatically when the From Date arrives and deactivate automatically when the To Date arrives. If you leave this range blank, the Special Price will apply until you remove it.
Specify Meta Information - Page Title, Meta Keywords and Meta Description. The Page Title will display in the browser’s title bar when this product is being viewed.
Meta Keywords and Description will show in the tag of the product’s HTML source.
6. Load Images. You can add Thumbnail, Small, and Base images. When first creating a product, you will not have any custom images uploaded. Therefore, all three image fields will be blank.
To add images to the product, click button and you'll see the Load Image form.
Select an Image by clicking:
- to browse contents of your local folders and select an image.
When you press OK button on edit form it will be uploaded to "Images directory" on FTP. When local image selected, this field will display local image path like
C:\My Images\some_image.jpg. But local image path will be replaced with image name some_image.jpg right after upload.
- to select some image stored remotely. It's done by browsing contents of FTP folder specified as "Images directory".
- to open Image Resize Rules window click on the appropriate button in the 'Load Image' form.
You can add or delete rules if you need one.
You have a possibility also to abolish your previous entries - and apply the changes you have made - by helping with the options of Image Resize Rules form's toolbar.
In recurring profile tab you can see two fields:
- the first one - recurring profile field - by default it is not activated and you can choose from the drop-down list the appropriate variant to enable it.
- In the second one field - recurring payment profile - you can set the following data after pressing the 'Editor' button (as you can see in the illustration above).
There are four sections with the fields which contains necessary data to configure the scheduler of recurring payment profile.
The first 'Schedule' box requires to configure the main fields for recurring profile scheduler:
- the first field allows to choose the date when the recurring payments for specific product is started. In order to perform this, you should choose 'Yes' variant from the drop-down.
- submits the short description for recurring payments that will be displayed in the information page of payment system as a direct name of recurring payment. If you leave this field blank, the name of the selected product will be
shown as the name of recurring profile as well.
- specify some value of scheduled payments that can fail before the profile is automatically suspended;
- automatically bill the outstanding balance amount in the next billing cycle (if there were failed payments) .
'Billing' sector contains the following fields:
Billing Period Unit – you have to choose from the drop-down list the unit for customer billing which will be used during the subscription period. It can be day, week, two week, month or year.
Billing Frequency - you have to specify the number of billing periods that make up one billing cycle
Maximum Billing Cycles - limited value of billing cycles for subscription period. Namely how many billing cycles are allowed within the same recurring profile. If you leave this field blank the recurring profile will be always activated.
For example, in the ‘billing period unit’ field you can choose the 'Month parameter, in the ‘billing frequency’ set the value equal to 1 and in the ‘maximum billing cycles’ field enter the number 12 .
‘Trial period’ area allows specify the trial period, during which the customer pay the special 'trial' price for the desired product. These fields are similar to the previous sector fields. There is one difference - all data you have
specified in this sector has limitation in time (they are trial).
'Trial Billling Amount' field serves for specifying the appropriate product price during trial period.
'Initial Fees' box requires to fill such fields as:
Initial Fee — initial non-recurring payment amount due immediately upon profile creation. Initial payment charge only once during entire subscription period
Allow initial fee failure - whether to suspend the payment profile if the initial fee fails or add it to the outstanding balance.
Press 'OK' to save your entries.
8. Specify Design of the page for the product.
You can control the way your Magento product's page looks like individually here. It is very similar to the individual design options for categories. If your Magento product page has a design separate from the category page to which it is associated, then the product level design will supersede the category level design.
- Custom Design - Select the design you want from the Custom Design drop-down. Magento comes with several different design options out of the box. If you leave this drop-down blank, it will automatically use the Current package name design. This can be edited by navigating to System > Configuration and clicking the Design tab. Enter the name of the design you want in the Current package name field, and this design will apply to all products for which you do not specify a different design.
- Active From and Active To - With the Active From and Active To fields, you can select a time frame in which the category will automatically switch to a design, and then switch back to the blank option when the time frame ends. This is perfect for the holidays, so that you can create a holiday design for your pages, and then have your site automatically switch back to the normal design whenever you want, without having to remember to do it yourself.
- The Custom Layout Update is essentially a static block, with a few differences.
- Edit HTML button - shows new HTML editor window of product description. It has 2 tabs: HTML and Code, and Properties Toolbar. Source preview is useful if you are working directly with "raw" HTML text, which gives you precise control over the tags used in the page. However, by default, you can still work with objects visually.
- Display Product Options In - Specify where to show product options - show a Block After Info Column or in a Product Info Column.
Click OK to save this entry, or click cancel to discard this entry.
9. In the 'Gift Options' tab you can let or deny your customers to create their own gift messages to a specific product during checkout. If you choose 'Use Config' variant the appropriate value will be used in the drop-down list in
the system configuration of "Allow Product Level Gift Messages" field:
If you allow gift packaging - choose the variant ‘Yes’ from the drop-down list in the particular field, you can also set the value of gift wrapping.
Also here you can check related articles on Magento Product Management: