3.3. Edit Product
To create a new Magento product or edit an existing one, proceed through the following steps.
1. Click the [Create Product] or [Edit Product] button, to see the "Edit Product" window:
2. "Store View". Select a store where you would like to add the Magento product from the drop-down. By default, new Magento product is created for all stores managed by admin, but you can select one of available stores to create the product in.
Specify the following information:
- "Name". The product name as it will appear in the front-end
- "SKU". The products SKU. Magento uses SKU as a unique identifier for this product, across all stores and websites. SKU is global, meaning if you update the SKU for a product in one store, it will update in all other stores as well.
- "Weight". Usually used for shipping calculations.
- "Status". Status can be "Enabled" or "Disabled". "Enabled" displays in the front-end, and "Disabled" doesn't display in the front-end.
- "Tax Class". Specify the Tax Class associated to the product. This determines which Tax Rule will be used for this product, and consequently the Tax Rate that will be charged to your customers.
- "URL key". The Search Engine Friendly URL Identifier adds a relative URL path which can be entered in place of the standard Target Path. It is Search Engine Friendly because it can use the name of the product instead of the ID#. If you leave this field blank, it will automatically generate with the name of the product upon creation of the product. If you enter a value here manually, you cannot use spaces in this field.
- "Visibility". You can decide whether your product will display on the page(s) of its associated category(ies), display when your customer searches for the product, both, or neither. It may be useful to “hide” certain products from your customers if they are associated to a Configurable or Grouped Product, so that the product is only visible through the Configurable or Grouped Product’s page, and not visible separately.
- "Allow Gift Message". If you have enabled Product Level Gift Messages in the Configuration page, you can allow your customer to enter a gift message for a specific product during checkout by selecting Yes. If you select Use config, it will use the value in the Allow Product Level Gift Messages drop-down in the system configuration. This differs from Order Level Gift Messages because your customers can add a different message for each product that has this feature enable. This is useful if they create one order, but ship to multiple addresses.
- "Product Manufacturer". Select Manufacturer form the drop-down. You can add to this dropdown by adding a manufacturer in Catalog->Manufacturers. You must do this before you add product, if you want to use this dropdown. Alternatively, you can do it afterwards by editing your product.
- "Set Product as New from/to Date". In these fields, enter the date range in which the Magento product will be promoted as a new product.
- Also there may be more fields defined by user, so you can add/change them, make required, or vice versa, etc - it's up to you.
Specify product Prices:
- "Price". Specify an actual price your want to sell your item for. If you have a special or discount, this will be the original price.
- "Cost". The Cost is for internal purposes and does not require a value.
- "Special Price". You can enter a Special Price for this product. In the front-end, this will appear underneath the original price (referred to as the Regular Price), which will be crossed out. The Special Price will display in red, and be referred to the Special Price.
- "Special Price From/To Date". You can enter a date range within which the Special price will be active. This price will apply automatically when the From Date arrives and deactivate automatically when the To Date arrives. If you leave this range blank, the Special Price will apply until you remove it.
Specify Meta Information:
- "Page Title" will display in the browser’s title bar when this product is being viewed.
- "Meta Keywords" and "Meta Description" will show in the tag of the product’s HTML source.
6. Load Images.
You can add "Thumbnail", "Small Image", and "Base Image". When first creating a product, you will not have any custom images uploaded. Therefore, all three image fields will be blank.
<- Press this button in the "Load Image" form to add images to the product.
<- Press this button to browse contents of your local folders and select an image.
When you press the [OK] button in edit form, selected image will be uploaded to "Images directory" on FTP. When local image selected, this field will display local image path like
C:\My Images\some_image.jpg. But local image path will be replaced with image name
some_image.jpg right after upload.
<- Press this button to select an image stored remotely. It's done by browsing contents of FTP folder specified as "Images directory".
<- This button is to open the "Image Resize Rules" window.
You can add or delete rules if you need.
You also have the possibility to abolish your previous entries and apply changes you have made, with the options of [Image Resize Rules] form's toolbar.
7. The "Recurring Profile" tab
There are two fields in this tab:
- The first one - "Recurring Profile Field - is not activated by default, and you can choose from the drop-down list the to enable it.
- In the second field - "Recurring Payment Profile" - you can set the data after pressing the [Editor] button (as you can see on the illustration above).
There are four sections with the fields, which contains necessary data, to configure the scheduler of recurring payment profile.
The first "Schedule" pane requires to configure the main fields for recurring profile scheduler:
- "Customer Can Define Start Date" allows to choose the date when the recurring payments for specific product is started. In order to perform this, you should choose "Yes" from the drop-down.
- "Schedule Description" submits the short description for recurring payments that will be displayed in the information page of payment system as a direct name of recurring payment. If you leave this field blank, the name of the selected product will be shown as the name of recurring profile as well.
- "Maximum Payment Failures". Specify a value of scheduled payments that can fail before the profile is automatically suspended.
- "Auto Bill on Next Cycle" automatically bills the outstanding balance amount in the next billing cycle (if there were failed payments).
The "Billing" pane contains the following fields:
- "Billing Period Unit". You have to choose from the drop-down list the unit for customer billing, which will be used during the subscription period. It can be day, week, two week, month or year.
- "Billing Frequency ". You have to specify the number of billing periods that make up one billing cycle.
- "Maximum Billing Cycles" - limited value of billing cycles for subscription period. Namely how many billing cycles are allowed within the same recurring profile. If you leave this field blank the recurring profile will be always activated. For example, in the "Billing Period Unit" field you can choose the "Month parameter", in the "Billing Frequency" set the value equal to 1 and in the "Maximum Billing Cycles" field enter the number 12 .
The "Trial Period" pane allows to specify the trial period, during which the customer pay the special "trial" price for the product. Take a note, all data you specify in this sector has limitation in time (they are trial).
- The "Trial Billling Amount" field serves for specifying the appropriate product price during trial period.
The "Initial Fees" pane requires to fill such fields as:
- "Initial Fee" — initial non-recurring payment amount due immediately upon profile creation. Initial payment charge only once during entire subscription period
- "Allow Initial Fee Failure" - whether to suspend the payment profile if the initial fee fails or add it to the outstanding balance.
Press [OK] to save your entries.
8. Specify Design of the page for the product.
You can control the way your Magento products page looks like. It is very similar to the individual design options for categories. If your Magento product page has a design separate from the category page to which it is associated, then the product level design will supersede the category level design.
- "Custom Design". Select the design you want from the drop-down. Magento comes with several different design options out of the box. If you leave this drop-down blank, it will automatically use the Current package name design. This can be edited by navigating to System > Configuration and clicking the Design tab. Enter the name of the design you want in the Current package name field, and this design will apply to all products for which you do not specify a different design.
- With the "Active From" and "Active To" fields, you can select a time frame in which the category will automatically switch to a design, and then switch back to the blank option when the time frame ends. This is perfect for the holidays, so that you can create a holiday design for your pages, and then have your site automatically switch back to the normal design whenever you want, without having to remember to do it yourself.
- "The Custom Layout Update" is essentially a static block, with a few differences.
- The [HTML Editor] button shows new HTML editor window of product description. It has 2 tabs: HTML and Code, and Properties Toolbar. Source preview is useful if you are working directly with "raw" HTML text, which gives you precise control over the tags used in the page. However, by default, you can still work with objects visually.
- "Display Product Options In". Specify where to show product options - show a Block After Info Column or in a Product Info Column.
Click [OK] to save this entry, or click [Cancel] to discard chanhes.
9. In the "Gift Options" tab you can let or deny your customers to create their own gift messages to a specific product during checkout. If you choose "Use Config" the relevant value will be used in the drop-down list in the system configuration of "Allow Product Level Gift Messages" field:
If you allow gift packaging, choose "Yes" from the drop-down list in the particular field, you can also set the value of gift wrapping.
Also here you can check related articles on Magento Product Management: