3. Export Categories
Then Export Categories wizard will help you in exporting your Magento categories to a comma-separated values file (.csv), which can easily be opened in MS Excel, or other application, for editing and, or, detailed analysis.
To export Magento categories, follow these steps:
1. Go to Store -> Import/Export, click the drop-down field, and select Import/Export Categories, or click on the Import/Export button, in the Categories' top toolbar.
2. Select 'Export', and click 'Next >', to proceed.
3. Store Manager for Magento can export categories to a .csv file. Enter a new file name, select a previously stored one via the drop-down, or by clicking the ellipsis (...) button and browsing to make a new selection, from the directories on your local or remote system.
4. The following dialog will display a set of general export options.
- Select categories you'd like to export - The Default setting for this option is to export all categories from the current Magento store configuration. If you wish to export products only from the currently selected category, select the Only from the current category and its subcategories option. If you wish to export products only from a specific category, you'll need to make sure that particular category is open, before you run the Wizard.
- Select store View to Export: At your election, you may choose to include the default values option, which will restrict the export to only selected store view categories.
5. The 'Fields delimiter and quote character' dialog has several very important settings. Be sure to check them, to ensure proper configuration and accurate exporting of Magento categories.
- Delimiter Character. - The typical delimiters are the comma (,), semicolon (;) and tab character ( ), however other symbols can be used as well. The resultant export file is usually generated for further processing, and subsequent re-importing, or import into another Store, or application.
- Quote string values - This specifies the character used to separate strings in the CSV file.
- Category Delimiter. - This is not a native .csv setting option in Magento, It is used only in Store Manager, to facilitate its operational functionality.
- Categories are organized in a tree form, by which one category can contain one, or more, subcategories and each subcategory may contain one, or more, other categories. The category delimiter character is used to separate category names and to specify the full category tree path for a given product. A category path is very similar to a directory path and is used to specify the full qualified file name in Windows, in which every directory is separated by the backslash (\) character (ie ... C:\Program Files\eMagicOne\Store Manager for Magento\).
- Export images. - You may select whether to also export the images, from a specified 'image directory', on your local PC, along with your general data export. Note that you must have the FTP connection accurately configured on the Settings-> Preferences -> FTP tab, prior to performing the export, for the operation to properly function.
6. Select the fields you want to be exported:
Enable Export field names as the first row. - It is often helpful to enable this feature, as it will facilitate accurate tracking of columns/data fields.
Add attribute code to column name (recommended for import) - Check this option when you want to change the Target Column Name.
All available fields are listed in the left pane. Select the fields you want to be exported, and click the ">" button, to move them to the right pane.
If you'd like to export all fields, simply press ">>".
Tip: The order in which columns will be saved in the .csv file can be changed. Simply move the exported columns up and down, using the appropriately labeled buttons.
7. Preview Export. On the last page of Export Wizard, you will be able to preview the results of your selected choices and options.
You can save your export settings as a default, or save the settings into a named file, clicking on the Save Settings to File button.
This can allow you to use configuration data in the following procedure of export categories in Magento.
Note! Upon pressing the 'Export' button, the export process will begin. Also note that this process can take some time, depending upon the amount of data to be processed.
If you do not wish to perform any further operations, after saving your exported data, simply select the 'Just close this window' option.
The Wizard will be closed, upon pressing the 'Finish' button. If you desire to automatically open the directory containing the results file, select the option in the 'after export action' section.
This will open the exported file in Microsoft Excel, allowing for review, or further processing.